HOT JOBSJohn Bloom, chief architect for Chevron’s corporate IT, shares a job description of what he is looking for in an enterprise architect. (For more on the enterprise architect position, see “Wanted: Enterprise Architects,” www.cio.com/030105.
The enterprise architect is a member of the IT strategy, planning and organizational capability team, which leads the development of global IT strategy and enterprise architecture. The primary focus for this position will be business architecture, information architecture and applications portfolio, rather than technology architecture or application design patterns. This position reports to the manager of IT strategy.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with business representatives to understand IT requirements generated by business strategies and operations.
- Develop and implement the architecture for global IT solutions, with focus primarily on business architecture, information architecture.
- Engage business and IT leaders to understand and document business strategies, key performance indicators and how they apply to IT asset investments(primarily applications and data leading to infrastructure).
- Help the company use architecture to plan, describe and deliver business solutions.
- Consult on IT solution development.
- Lead or participate in architecture studies. Guide architecture reviews of IT solutions.
- Facilitate the development and evolution of the architecture and governance processes. Facilitate the process for approving architecture standards.
- Document and communicate the enterprise architecture.