iOS 9 has quite a few cool, new features. But one that hasn't gotten much attention is the iCloud drive app. This new app lets you see all of the files and folders you have saved in your iCloud Drive.
In this tip I'll walk you through how to enable the iCloud Drive app in iOS 9. And I'll show you how to rename, delete or move files and folders you have stored in your iCloud Drive.
How to enable the iCloud Drive app in iOS 9
To enable the iCloud Drive app and see it on your home screen, just follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings.
2. Go to iCloud.
3. Toggle the iCloud Drive switch to the on (green) position.
Now you should see the iCloud Drive app on your iOS home screen.
The iCloud Drive app interface
When you first open the iCloud Drive app, you'll notice a clean and simple interface. you'll see all of your folders and also any files that you haven't put into a folder. At the very top you'll see a search box that lets you easily and quickly find files and folders.
If you're using any of Apple's apps such as Numbers, Pages or even TextEdit then those folders have an app icon on them. This makes it very easy to visually locate the Pages folder, for example, even if you have a hundred other folders. Note though that you can only delete these kinds of folders, you can't rename or move them.
At the very bottom of the iCloud Drive app you'll see how many items you have stored, and also the amount of storage you have left in iCloud. This is very helpful for folks that might be using up a lot of storage in iCloud and who might need to purchase more from Apple.
How to rename, move or delete individual files
It's very easy and quick to rename, move or delete a file. Just follow these steps:
1. Tap and hold on a file.
2. You'll see a menu with the following options:
Delete | Rename| Info | More
3. If you tap on Information a screen will open with the text of the file, along with its full title, file type, size and other information.
4. If you tap on More in the menu for a file you'll have the options of sharing the item, renaming it or moving it to a folder.
How to rename or delete a single folder
If you want to rename or delete a folder, just follow these steps:
1. Tap and hold on the folder.
2. Tap the Delete or Rename option on the menu.
How to move or delete multiple files or folders
In some cases you might want to move or delete multiple files, or move folders in your iCloud Drive. Just follow these steps to do that:
1. Tap on the Select link at the top right of the iCloud Drive app.
2. Tap the files or folders you want to move or delete.
3. Tap on the Move or Delete links at the bottom of the iCloud Drive app.
4. You also have the option of creating a new folder.
The iCloud Drive app makes managing files and folders easy
As you can tell from the tips above, it's quite easy to manage your files and folders in the iCloud Drive app. I've been using it for a while now and I've found it to be very helpful in iOS when I don't want to bother using my Mac to move, delete or rename the files I've stored in my iCloud Drive.
Did you miss a post? Check the Eye On Apple home page to get caught up with the latest news, discussions and rumors about Apple.
This article is published as part of the IDG Contributor Network. Want to Join?