2011 Winner Profile
Defense Information Systems Agency
- Project Description: The Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA), the U.S. military¿s principal provider of communications and information services, developed the Transnational Information Sharing Cooperation Joint Capability Technology Demonstration (TISC JCTD) system as a way for Department of Defense entities to collaborate and share nonclassified information with government agencies, friendly nations and other partners. DISA built a Web-based system on top of existing capabilities, which helped save on both cost and implementation time. The TISC JCTD was scheduled for a first test in January 2010, when Haiti was hit by a gigantic earthquake. The system became the primary nonclassified system used by the U.S. military in its response to that crisis and is credited for saving numerous lives through a combination of online forums, blogs, maps, images, chat and other services.
- Project type: Collaboration tools, Content/document management, Social media
- Business Functions: Humanitarian assistance and disaster relief, Theater security, Stability, security, transition and reconstruction missions
- Business Goal: Operational
- CIO: David Mihelcic, CTO
- CEO: Carroll F. Pollett, Lt. Gen.
- Headquarters: Arlington, Va.
- Industry: Government
- Revenue (2010): $8.43 billion
- Website: www.disa.mil/