2013 Winner Profile
- Project Description: IBM developed voice-recognition technology that creates a written transcript of the audio track of a media file. Once the transcript is created, the system then merges it with the original file to provide on-screen captions. One of the technology's main advantages is that it give people with disabilities a robust media experience. This new tool allows IBM to provide a dramatically enhanced experience to all employees thanks to improved search and the ability to display captions for both audio and video files.
- Project type: Cloud Computing Services or Software as a Service (SaaS), Collaboration Tools, Social Media
- Business Functions: Research & Development, Sales
- Business Goal: Strategic Impact or Competitive Advantage
- CIO: Jeanette Horan, VP & CIO
- CEO: Virginia Rometty, Chairman, President and CEO
- Headquarters: Armonk, N.Y.
- Industry: Business or Management Services (including Consulting)
- Revenue (2012): $104.5 billion