Android

News

U.S. Smartphone Market Share Numbers for Q1 2014

Nielsen this week released U.S. smartphone market share numbers, based on OS and manufacturer, for the first quarter of 2014. Among the notable findings, Apple gained OS share but lost ground in device-maker share, while HTC dropped two slots in the manufacturer ranking. Full Story »
Review

4 Things You'll Love About HTC's One (M8) - and 4 You Won't

HTC's latest and greatest, the One (M8), packs a bevy of unique features. Some are sure to impress, while others will disappoint. CIO.com's Al Sacco shed lights on four of the best things about the new HTC One and four of the worst.

How To

How to Work Seamlessly Across Multiple Devices

Employees who used to burn the midnight oil at the office now get to do so from the comforts of home, thanks to the proliferation of personal laptops, tablets and smartphones. Getting files to appear on and sync with multiple devices can be challenging, but a little bit of advanced planning can go a long way.

Feature

Can an iPhone User Learn to Love Android?

I've been using an iPhone for a few years, but I've always been curious about Android. Not because I didn't like my iPhone, but I wanted to know if I was missing anything. I'd seen how Android works when friends showed me their phones. But given the cost of smartphones and tablets, it wasn't worth getting an Android device just to play around with it.

News analysis

When Tech Titans Join Forces: The Verdict on 6 Big Mergers

Some things go together like peanut butter and jelly. Others are more like peanut butter and motor oil. The joining of tech titans is no different. Here we discuss whether six high-profile mergers have made a tasty combination or a gross one.

News

Dating App Tinder Tops 10M Matches a Day, Users Swiping Like Crazy

The matchmaking social app is 'really an analogue for what we do in the real world,' says founder and CEO Sean Rad. Tinder aims to connect users and remove tension from budding relationships.

News

Samsung Tops in Android Enterprise Usage

More than half of Android devices being used in the enterprise are made by Samsung, according to a report from mobile device management company Fiberlink that surveyed more than 250,000 devices worldwide.

Advice & Opinion

Analyzing Mobile Phone Choice by Age Is Risky Business

Are iPhones used primarily by more mature mobile users who crave ease of use? Are Android phones more popular among the young, techie and cost-conscious? CIO.com's Tom Kaneshige has discovered there are no simple answers.

News

Hands-On First Impressions of Samsung's Galaxy S5 Smartphone (Video)

CIO.com's Al Sacco goes hands-on with Samsung's brand new Galaxy S5 smartphone. The device has a handful of notable new hardware features and software enhancements. But none of them translation into any real "wow factor." Here's why.

News

Microsoft: Android Nokia Not Our Call to Make

Microsoft today sidestepped commenting on the Nokia's decision to launch a new low-cost smartphone powered by an offshoot of Google's Android.

News

Beware of Employees' Cheap Android Phones

An Android vulnerability known since 2012 has recently been found to be more serious than previously thought, particularly in phones that cost less than $150.

News

5 Changes We Want to See in Samsung's Galaxy S5

Samsung's most popular smartphone, the Galaxy S4, is about to get a significant update. CIO.com's Al Sacco shares five things Samsung could do to make the Galaxy S5 a significantly better smartphone than the GS4.

News

New Enterprise Mobile Report Details iOS Dominance, Most Popular Business Apps

Good Technology's quarterly mobility index shows Apple's continued dominance among its enterprise customers, and details enterprise app usage, but the report does not include data on BlackBerry users and could be considered a misrepresentation of the overall market.

News

Samsung Galaxy S5 Launch Rumor Roundup

Samsung sent out invites to an "Unpacked" event this month that's presumed to be the Galaxy S5 launch. CIO.com's Al Sacco rounds up a variety of GS5 hardware, software, design, price and release date rumors.

News

Why Android, Samsung are Real Winners in Google's Motorola/Lenovo Deal

Google agreed to a $2.9m sale of its Motorola Mobility unit to Lenovo. While the deal appears to make a lot of sense for both companies, Samsung and the Android OS in general are also sure to benefit. Here's why.