Application developers have undergone significant shift in recent years. From the waterfall methodology and monolithic architecture to agile DevOps ways of working with containers, orchestration tools and microservices, the end result has been one of speed.
Just look at Trainline which did 12,000 production releases last year, or tech giants like Netflix and Google which do everything almost exclusively in containers.
Now, another challenge has come along in the shape of Covid-19. The move to remote working is putting additional strain on applications and developer teams. DevOps teams have moved from being collocated to distributed almost overnight, posing its own technical and personal challenges, while the stark economic realities are pushing some organisations to put developers on furlough, or pause development projects entirely.
Such challenges will need to overcome; organisations must move away from legacy ways of working, and embrace application modernisation to accelerate application development to improve time to market, customer satisfaction and business performance.
In this episode, the final in the Avanade-CIO podcast series, experts Eric Allen and Paul Veitch discuss:
• From the monolithic to microservices – how application development has evolved over time
• What DevOps means for your application estate as well as developer and operations teams
• How Covid-19 has impacted developer and operations teams
• The importance of custom-built applications
• Best practice to modernising your application estate
Click here to listen to the previous episodes in this podcast series by Avanade