A guide to outsourcing in Costa Rica.
- Overall Ranking: Emerging
- Average 2nd Year Programmer
- Geopolitical Risk: Moderate
- English Proficency: Very Good
- Pros: Now exporting more software
than bananas thanks to low costs, a bilingual workforce
and political stability. Becoming a hub for call center
and back-office outsourcing. Literacy rate 95%.
- Cons: Small labor pool.
Government-owned telecom monopoly hampers IT industry
growth. Showed improvement in A.T. Kearney’s offshoring
attractiveness index in 2005, but still ranks below 19
other countries. Tax-free offers to foreign companies
ruled illegal by WTO and must be phased out by
MORE ON CIO.COM