A guide to outsourcing in China
- Overall Ranking: Challenging
- Average 2nd Year Programmer
Salary: $5,000 to $10,000
- Geopolitical Risk: Moderate
- English Proficency: Poor
- Pros: Poised to take over India’s top spot,
growing at 25% a year since 1999.
Infrastructure improving. Shanghai and
Beijing well-connected; second-tier cities
catching up. Business transparency increasing.
Estimated 2 million Chinese software
programmers right now and still growing.
Good location for servicing local operations
of multinationals and Chinese companies.
Low-cost alternative for neighboring Japan,
Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore.
- Cons: IT services companies small and inexperienced in global business and
enterprise IT. Project managers and seniorlevel
talent scarce. English skills minimal.
Data and IP protection continues to be
an issue. On IIPA priority watch list. Used
mainly for low-end application development,
maintenance, testing. Rising wages
may dilute attractiveness.
MORE ON CIO.COM